In today’s data-driven business environment, the importance of effective data platform governance cannot be overstated. But, many organizations lack a formal data governance structure. This leaves data vulnerable to a range of problems, from unreliable or incorrect data to security breaches and non-compliance with regulations. Data platform governance helps ensure organizations maintain compliance as well as control over the data they use and store.
This article provides a comprehensive overview of everything you need to know about data platform governance by covering the following topics:
What is Data Platform Governance?
Data platform governance is the process of establishing and maintaining standards and practices for the management, operation, and use of an organization’s data platform. It involves setting guidelines and protocols for how data is collected, stored, accessed, and used within a data platform. Organizations can use data platform governance as a portion of their overall data governance framework.
Typically, data platform governance is split into two distinct categories; technical governance and organizational governance. By incorporating both aspects into a comprehensive data platform governance plan, organizations improve their data’s reliability, security, and integrity.
Technical governance is a type of data platform governance that involves the design and operation of the data platform itself. It involves establishing standards and procedures for the technical operation of the data platform, as well as ensuring that the platform is designed in a way that meets the needs of the organization.
Some specific areas to address as part of technical governance include:
- Data architecture: The design and structure of the data platform, including how data is organized and how it flows within the platform.
- Data quality and integrity: Ensuring that the data on the platform is accurate, complete, and consistent. This includes establishing processes for data validation, cleansing, and enrichment.
- Data security and privacy: Protecting the data on the platform from unauthorized access or misuse, and ensuring that the platform complies with relevant laws and regulations governing data privacy.
Technical governance helps maintain reliability, efficiency, and security for your data platform.
Organizational governance is a type of data platform governance focused on the social and organizational aspects of data management. It defines the roles, responsibilities, and policies related to data within the organization. Organizational governance also involves establishing standards and procedures for how data is managed, used, and shared within the organization.
Some specific areas that can be addressed as part of organizational governance include:
- Roles and responsibilities: Defining the roles and responsibilities of different data stakeholders.
- Data ownership and stewardship: Determining who owns and is responsible for various types of data within the organization, and establishing processes for data stewardship.
- Data policies and standards: Developing policies and standards for data management and use within the organization, including standards for data quality, security, privacy, and access.
Organizational governance helps ensure data is managed and used in a way that aligns with the values and goals of the organization.
Examples of Data Platform Governance
One example of data platform governance is the development of data architecture standards. Data architecture refers to the design and structure of an organization’s data platform, including how data is organized and how it flows within the platform.
Technical data platform governance involves establishing standards for data architecture to ensure that the platform is designed in a way that meets the needs of the organization. For example, an organization can develop standards for how data is collected, stored, and accessed within the platform. This can include standards for data modeling, data integration, and data security.
Another example of data platform governance is the establishment of clear roles and responsibilities for data management and use within the organization. This involves creating clearly outlined responsibilities for every data stakeholder. It can also involve establishing processes for data ownership and stewardship, and developing and enforcing data policies and standards.
By implementing these types of data platform governance measures, the organization can ensure that its data platform is well-designed, well-operated, and reliable.
Best Practices for Data Platform Governance
Effective data platform governance is essential for ensuring the reliability, security, and integrity of an organization’s data. To implement effective data platform governance, there are a few best practices that organizations should follow including:
- Align data platform governance with business objectives: Aligning data platform governance with business objectives can involve setting specific goals and metrics for data platform governance. After setting these goals and metrics, regularly review and update data policies and procedures to ensure they align with the needs and goals of the organization.
- Establish clear roles and responsibilities for data platform governance: It is important to clearly define the roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders for data platform governance, including data owners, stewards, and users. This can help to ensure that data platform governance is transparent and that there is clear accountability for data-related decisions and actions.
- Develop and enforce data policies and standards: Data policies and standards are essential for ensuring that data is managed and used in a consistent and controlled manner. Regularly review and update these policies and standards to ensure they stay relevant to the organization’s business objectives and industries.
- Implement a data governance training program: Provide training and resources to help employees understand their roles and responsibilities for data platform governance. This can be an effective way to promote data literacy and responsibility within the organization. It can also involve a process for employees to acquire data governance certifications.
Data platform governance is a critical process for ensuring the reliability, security, and integrity of an organization’s data. It involves establishing and maintaining standards and practices for the management, operation, and use of the organization’s data platform. But, creating these standards and practices from scratch requires expertise.
Satori’s data security platform helps organizations enhance data governance and security, by streamlining access to sensitive data and creating and implementing security policies in days regardless of the existing data infrastructure.